Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Go White Sox! My visit to US Cellular Field


For one night only, I was a die-hard Chicago White Sox fan.

Heading to US Cellular Field, I didn't have the same excitement about seeing the stadium as I did for my visit to Wrigley Field, but I cared more about the outcome of the baseball game. I was cheering wildly for the White Sox to have a good night against the Boston Red Sox so that the New York Yankees could finally clinch a berth in the playoffs (by the time the battle of the Saux started, the Yankees were already down 7-0 thanks to AJ Burnett so I knew that the Bombers clinching the berth themselves last night was unlikely).

I was surprised by the sparse crowd at US Cellular considering the Red Sox were in town, but I was informed by a nice White Sox fan that the Bears were playing the Packers at Soldier Field on Monday Night Football. The stadium was practically empty, with the loudest cheers coming from the Red Sox faithful that made the trip to the South side of Chicago.

I'm happy to report there was no harassment by uptight ushers even though it seemed like there were more White Sox employees than fans in the stadium. I was better prepared for the weather, having ducked into Macy's to buy a turtleneck, warm socks and thick gloves. Not as windy as Wrigley so I was fine during the first few innings, aided by the hot chocolate I was thrilled was available at US Cellular (my kindly Wrigley usher told me it wasn't cold enough this year for them to order hot chocolate and warned me off the coffee). But the temperature dropped several degrees during the game and got downright brutal by the 7th inning.

I was quite amused and a little stunned by the presence of a Margarita guy in the upper deck carrying a big barrel of alcohol on his back that he happily offered us drinks from. I was tempted to try a stadium Margarita just to see what it tastes like, but was too cold by then for a drink. I definitely want to start a letter-writing campaign so we can get a Margarita guy at Yankee Stadium.

As for the game, I had high hopes that the White Sox could do the Yankees a favor, particularly with "Mr. Perfect" Mark Buehrle on the mound. But the Red Sox got off to a quick 2-0 lead, courtesy of a two-out double by David "Big Papi" Ortiz, and sucked the life right out of the limited crowd, except for those annoying Red Sox fans.

All and all, I had a nice visit to US Cellular Field, even though I was wishing a better fate for the White Sox. Maybe I was a jinx for the Chicago teams this week. Or maybe they just suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment