Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mo's brush with destiny a sight to see


I can't tell you how happy I am that I was in Toronto this weekend to watch Mariano Rivera achieve baseball immortality.

In reality, he was already a baseball immortal. But watching him officially tie the all-time saves mark was such a thrill for me. I screamed myself hoarse, hoping Mo could hear and feel the support of me and all the New York Yankees fans who made the journey north to watch him fulfill his destiny.

The Toronto crowd was quite subdued in that historic moment and failed to give Mo the ovation he rightfully deserved. I don't think Blue Jays fans were at all comforted by the fact that they were watching history. They were too busy bemoaning the inability to hold a five-run lead. Too bad they didn’t have Mo on their side.

But not even the New York Yankees losing two out of three games this weekend could spoil the moment for me (I was hoping the Yankees would win by at least four runs on Sunday so Mo could have a shot to break the record at home this week). Whatever. Watching Mo fulfill his destiny was a beautiful thing to see (and well worth navigating Customs!).

No comments:

Post a Comment