Sunday, October 23, 2011

Not ready to give up on Phil Hughes

It seems like some people are starting to give up on Phil Hughes. I'm not one of them.

I admit to being frustrated that Hughes couldn’t take what seemed to be the next step this year, slotting into the #2 spot behind CC Sabathia. But you can’t fault a player for being injured, even though some people seem to want to. If Hughes’ injuries were related to being out of shape, then it’s understandable that people would be upset about that. But I think the arm injury had more to do with the New York Yankees not knowing how to take care of their young pitchers. Perhaps they will be persuaded to do away with all these artificial limits on their kids by Nolan Ryan, who is now watching as his team plays in the World Series for the second consecutive year.

I think Hughes deserves another shot to prove that he can pitch. I do think it’s a legitimate question whether his stuff is better suited to the rotation or the bullpen, but I would give him another shot at a starting slot in 2012 and see if he can keep it rather than give up on him completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment