Monday, September 28, 2009

Random baseball thoughts


Sotomayor delivers a strike

As a Hispanic woman, one of the proudest moments of the year for me has been the confirmation of Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. Baseball fans owe her a huge debt of gratitude as she saved baseball from an ill-conceived strike in the mid-1990s--one that cut short a promising Yankee season. It was great to see the Yankees honor her by inviting her to toss out the ceremonial first this weekend at Yankee stadium. She is from the Bronx and a huge fan!
Thanks to the Supreme Court Collection for this photo.

President Obama is absolutely right to try to extend the school year with American kids continuing to fall behind in key subjects like math and science, but it wouldn't be good for baseball attendancxe. One of my favorte things to do is go to a day game in the middle of the week. I've seen a lot of great Yankee comebacks at these games. While I play hooky from work to do it, I wouldn't encourage the kids to do the same.

My sister and her roommate just adopted a dog they named Jeter. Her roomate is a huge Yankees fan, my sister is completely indifferent to baseball. He is part Pit Bull and part Jack Russell Terrier so I think the name suits him very well-he is tenacious and feisty. Like the human Jeter on the basepaths this year, he can't stop running around.

No comments:

Post a Comment