Sunday, September 27, 2009

Toronto is the safest away city to see a Yankees game


I travel a lot on both business and personal trips, many of which happen to revolve around Yankee away games. I've been to games in many cities, including Baltimore, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Washington, DC. But as a single woman who often travels alone, I've never felt safer than when I go up to Toronto to catch games at the Skydome (Excuse me, Rogers Centre: whatever!). Not only do I always have a good time, but I've never felt remotely threatened or nervous. When I did some checking on this topic, I found out that Toronto is considered one of the safest cities in North America, a much safer place to enjoy a game than other baseball towns, including Chicago.

There are several nice hotels in the area around Skydome (and rooms can usually be booked for US$100 or less on Expedia or Hotwire. That area is a good place to hang out post-game because there are a lot of great restaurant and bar options nearby. As in any big city, you should be careful, but you can walk around and enjoy the beautiful Toronto waterfront. The stadium doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer stadiums, but it's a comfortable place to watch a ballgame. And unlike Yankee Stadium this year (I got rained out twice!), you don't have to worry about rainouts with the retractable roof. U2 just played there in the first open-air concert since Bruce Springsteen in 2003. And if you have time to do a little sightseeing, you should work in a trip to Casa Loma. The castle is extraordinary, the gardens are immaculate and I'm told it's a great place to get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment