Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jeter wants to be a Yankee for life


Derek Jeter wants to follow in the footsteps of fellow New York Yankees captains Lou Gehrig and Don Mattingly by playing his entire career in pinstripes. At his spring training press conference, Jeter clearly stated what Yankee fans and observers already know: that he has no desire to play for any other team but the Yankees.

"It's always been important, " Jeter said. "I've said that from Day One. This is the only organization I've ever wanted to play for and that is still true today. I was a Yankee fan growing up. This is where I want to be. I've never envisioned myself playing anywhere else and hopefully I won't have to."

Most baseball players heading into their walk year wouldn't admit publicly that they have no interest in playing for another team. But Jeter is smart enough to know that he doesn't really lose any leverage because the Yankees can't afford to even appear to be pushing him out the door or they would face a rebellion the likes of which they can't imagine.

In typical Jeter fashion, he also said he would not address his contract status again until the end of the season because it's unfair to his team, which is trying to repeat as World Series champions. That won't put an end to the speculation, but Jeter made it clear he won't be a willing participant.

No comments:

Post a Comment