Monday, February 8, 2010

New Orleans haunted no more after big win


As a long-time fan of the city of New Orleans (I go there every couple of years for Halloween), I was beyond thrilled to see the Saints pull off the upset against the Indianapolis Colts in the Super Bowl last night. I had a feeling going into the game that the Saints would win despite having to beat the great Peyton Manning. I just felt that after years of struggling with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the Big Easy was overdue for an iconic moment to wash away the sadness of that catastrophe. I wish I was on Bourbon Street last night to participate in that wondrous celebration.


Aside from the big win for the Crescent City, I was happy that it turned out to be such a fantastic football game. Really it was a very clean game: few penalties, not a lot of mistakes. Garrett Hartley kept the Saints in it early with his precision kicking. Quarterback Drew Brees threw a helluva game, was named Most Valuable Player and brought thousands of people to tears hugging and kissing his young son in the midst of the joyful, chaotic on-field celebration as the boy tried to grab the confetti raining down on him and his dad.

But the big winner is obviously the city of New Orleans. Haunted no more, the city finally banishes its Katrina demons.

Thanks to Gonk via Wikipedia for the photo

No comments:

Post a Comment