Monday, June 21, 2010

Celebrities stay out! This means you Gaga!


Singer Lady Gaga caused another scandal this weekend when she entered the New York Yankees clubhouse and kept the baseball media from doing its job of reporting on the game the Yanks just lost. Hal Steinbrenner was reportedly furious about it and ordered her banned although Brian Cashman later said that was not the case. But I hope she is banned. It's the right call.

Personally, I think there should be a big sign on the door to the clubhouse warning all celebrities to stay out. But I would go one step further and say that until Lady Gaga decides to actually wear clothes rather than just underwear to a game, she should be banned not just from the clubhouse but from the stadium itself. Why should she, just because she's a celebrity, get away with something the rest of us would get arrested for?

I say this as someone who's a huge fan of her music, with two of her albums in my CD rack. I've always been a big fan and supporter of Gaga's eagerness to express herself, even if her outfits and antics don't always make sense to me. But she has gone too far. From her public middle finger at a Mets game, to showing up not being fully clothed at Yankee Stadium, her behavior in public arenas frequented by children is unacceptable and shows an appalling lack of respect.

These are the days when I miss the old George Steinbrenner, who would have been firing people left and right for letting her into the stadium dressed like that. But I think Hal has every right to ban her from the clubhouse. I just wish he would go one step further.

Thanks to http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephencarlile via Wikipedia for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment