Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cranky fans need to lay off of Mark Teixeira


It's hard to believe, but there are blogs out there written by some very cranky fans criticizing Mark Teixeira for staying home with his wife while she gave birth to their third child.

This is one of the nicer entries that I've read and I've got to say that I'm surprised at the level of animosity toward Tex for wanting to be present for his son's first few days. He obviously wanted to be there to support his wife and welcome his child into the world and I have absolutely no problem with that.

Personally, if I was married to a man and he missed the birth of our child to go play baseball, I'd probably be headed to divorce court. But if I was divorcing Tex I'd get half of his $20 million a year and that's not such a bad deal. That annual salary may be a big reason why these fans are so cranky.

Of course it was frustrating watching Lance Berkman flail at and pop up pitches as the stand-in for Tex last night. Of course I would rather have Tex batting in the third spot than Marcus Thames. But there is a potential upside for the New York Yankees in that a couple of days off for Tex might help keep him fresh during the dog days of August, which will be great as the Yanks head toward the playoffs.

Yes, Tex has an obligation to his baseball family, but his obligation to his actual family comes first. I think most, if not all, of his Yankees teammates understand that. If they don't have a problem with him taking a few days off, then neither should we.

No comments:

Post a Comment