Saturday, August 14, 2010

Phil Hughes taking things one day at a time


Phil Hughes knows that the day will come soon when Joe Girardi will tell him he has to take a seat for a while. But he's not letting it bother him, taking things one day at a time. I think that's the right approach, especially for a young pitcher. Worrying about things you can't control is self defeating.

I suspect from the huge grin on his face during his interview with Kim Jones that Hughes knows the final innings count that Girardi & Co are aiming for, but wisely is not giving it away. As he gets closer to that number and faces the prospect of getting skipped again, he knows it’s for his own good so he is not going to lose sleep over it.

"I have too many other things to worry about and I'm not really that good at math," Hughes joked.

The young righty looks like he's just beginning to get back his rhythm after being skipped in the New York Yankees rotation back in June. He told Jones that he feels good and strong, but expressed frustration that one or two bad innings in his recent starts have spoiled the four or five good innings he threw.

"I still don't feel like I'm back to where I was at the beginning of the year and to where I know I can be," Hughes said. "But the last few have been a step in the right direction."

He has gotten great at stopping the bleeding and keeping the Yankees in games, as he did against the Boston Red Sox this week. "If I go out there and give up a couple of runs, I know we have the offense to win the game still," Hughes said.

Hughes revealed that he has been watching Shark Week recently, which makes a lot of sense since he’s back on the attack and not worrying about things out of his control.

No comments:

Post a Comment