Monday, March 1, 2010

Mets think they have fighting chance


Are the New York Mets serious or just delusional? I couldn't help but wonder during an afternoon where several baseball players and general manager Omar Minaya dropped by Mike Francesa's radio show to insist that they can compete with the Philadelphia Phillies and Atlanta Braves for the National League East division.

Now it could be written off as them putting a positive spin on their situation or trying to excite and win back their fan base. But they all seemed to genuinely believe it. Check it out:

"I think this team is built to win right now," first baseman Daniel Murphy said.

"I've got a very, very good feeling about this team," said centerfielder Angel Pagan. "I think we're going to go very far."

"I think we have a club that's capable of doing some things this year," catcher Rod Barajas said.

And last but not least the general manager: "I feel good about this team," Minaya said.

Now they acknowledge that a lot of things have to go right for them to be competitive, namely that they all have to remain healthy, a major challenge as they proved last year.
I don't think their happy camper routines are going to win over Mets fans. But an April winning streak might do the trick.

Thanks to Keith Allison via Wikipedia for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment