Monday, March 8, 2010

Pettitte ready for another title run


Andy Pettitte isn't going to claim this is his last year playing baseball. He's done that too many times, only to make the decision after much agonizing to return to the game rather than retire, a fact that his teammate and pal Derek Jeter openly mocks.

I thought Pettitte could have gone out on top last year after playing a pivotal role in the New York Yankee's World Series championship. Most of his previous flirtations with retirement were driven by a cranky elbow and a desire to go home to his family. But Pettitte and his family talked it over and they were supportive of him returning to the Yankees. Plus, he realized that he was feeling too good to quit. In fact, the lefty said it was "totally strange" that his elbow was feeling so good.

"I don't want to retire too soon," Pettitte said.

So here he is, back with the team and focusing on another title run. Pettitte's recipe for success is simple. "I was able to stay healthy," he said. "I felt like I was pretty consistent, which is good. I was able to stay out of big innings and get some outs when I needed to."

Sounds good to me.

Thanks to kidsire via Wikipedia for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment