Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bring on the Angels baby: Yankees beat Twins

I'm completely psyched for what's going to be a great American League Championship Series with the Angels starting Friday. The Yankees secured their place in the next round of the baseball playoffs with a win over the Twins. Tonight's game was almost anticlimactic as you knew the Twins were done as soon as Tex's ball hit the top of the wall on Friday. I almost feel sorry for the Twinkies--they were clearly overmatched, even with Carl Pavano's shockingly great start. He couldn't pitch that way for us?!!!

Once again, Andy Pettitte came up with another huge postseason start. He started most of my favorite games during the Yankees dynasty years and I felt like I was watching a vintage Andy Pettitte start tonight. He got a lot of help from his surrounding cast, particularly his catcher. Jorge Posada played a fantastic game, both offensively and defensively. His home run proved to be the game winner and he added another insurance ribbie later, but his perfect throw to get Punto after receiving a heads-up throw from Derek Jeter was my favorite moment of the game.

The wait until Friday will be agonizing, but at least both the Yanks and Angels are in the same boat. I'll admit I was surprised to see the Sox get swept. Despite their late-season struggles, I thought they would come back and win 1 or 2 games at Fenway before eventually losing to the Angels, who are definitely a better team. But I'm happy anytime Jonathan Papelbum gets knocked around!

No comments:

Post a Comment